Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spiritual Parenting

Traversing the journey of this spiritual life presents many challenges. Going it along virtually guarantees failure. I just finished reading The Cry for Spiritual Fathers and Mothers by Larry Kreider. This volume addresses a critical issue facing the Church in America. With the continuing demise of the family, the people of God must become more intentional about discipling or mentoring young believers in the faith. While a great emphasis has correctly been placed on reaching those outside the Church, an equal emphasis needs to be placed on maturing those who become a part of the family of God.

One of the stories I enjoyed was about a seventy year old, mature believer who had never had the blessing of a spiritual father. A twenty-nine year old man took him out to lunch and initiated a relationship of prayer, support, and accountability that the elder had never before experienced. This new found friendship became a source of great encouragement to both individuals. The older man told Larry, "I finally have a spiritual father. He's twenty-nine years old."

Each of us needs a variety of mentors throughout our lives. Sadly, many never have enjoyed that special relationship. Do you have a spiritual father/mentor? What area of your life has that individual been able to strengthen you? Have you found that multiple spiritual fathers/mentors is helpful or confusing for you? How can you become a spiritual father/mentor to someone else? Is it a formal or informal relationship? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

2 comments:

trboat said...

Through my 31 years as a Christian, I have had several men, not a lot, but several, who have greatly encouraged me. These were Mostly infomal mentors that helped me to be faithful, especailly in my Navy days as a young Christian.In my mind I can still see them, and I still thank God for them. They made the difference!

Jason Tourville said...

Many people have played different roles in my life. My own father spoke the message directly to my life, "Son, You're an important and valuable person." He did this simply by being interested in my life and being there for me.

Now in pastoral ministry, there have been others in my life that contribute in areas of leadership, accountability, discipleship, etc... The mistake people make is to put all their "eggs" (expectations) into one "basket" (mentor). God brings many people along your pathway. Some will contribute to you, others you will invest in them. At times the relationship will be mutual.

Guard your heart but embrace the relationships God brings your direction. You will be the better for it. However, the most important voice we can hear is from our heavenly Father.