Saturday, June 28, 2008

Green Gone Goofy

I had a conversation recently with an acquaintance who is overly GREEN. In other words, this individual worries about the environment and ecology to an extreme. To illustrate my point, the shrubs (see my post on pruning below)in their yard are getting huge. This individual did not want to hurt the plants by cutting them; no kidding!

I have been asked a few times about the AG position on ecology. I am not aware that there is one, but I usually refer to Revelation 11:18 which states "The time has come for judging the dead...and for destroying those who destroy the earth." That is a very strong statement that I have personally never heard an AG minister preach about (Before you do, be sure you are informed!). The discussion in our culture usually comes down to who you believe. That is to say, for example, is global warming, now often referred to as global climate change, caused by humans or is it just the normal cycles that have been a part of the history of the earth since creation?

I really do not wish to create any controversy, but I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts. We can agree to disagree. It seems to me this is a legitimate issue as we navigate this journey of life and ministry.

2 comments:

Del Smith said...

If the AG comes out with a position paper on Ecology I may have to reconsider my position on the AG!

Stephen Tourville said...

Personally I think we have plenty of position papers already.