Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Jericho Road

When was the last time you stopped to smell the roses? In our frenzied lifestyle, I often wonder when life will slow down so I can do the things I really enjoy. Then I asked myself (I really think it was the Lord who posed the question), "If you could do anything you wanted to do and money was no object, what would you do?" Hum? The fact is, I would do exactly what I am doing. So, the reality is, my frame of mind makes all the difference.

Yesterday I had a wonderful opportunity to be a good Samaritan. Two individuals approached meat Barnes and Noble out of the blue. As usual, I was feeling the time crunch of getting to the next point of "ministry" when the interruption came. They wanted my opinion about some reading materials that I happened to know something about. How did they know i could be a source of information. They were from out of town, had no idea of my background or even that I am a minister. The story flashed through my mind in an instant. Would I respond like the Priest and Levite, or would I respond in the way the story told by Jesus intended to teach?

I have no idea what will become of this new believer/layed off truck driver and the self-proclaimed mentoring mother-figure to him. Having an opportunity to bind up some wounds and provide care and healing for some who have been robbed, beaten up by the devil, and left to suffer along the road. Taking time for others, even strangers, is at the heart of true ministry. I confess I have not always responded appropriately to the Jericho Road opportunities, but it is a joy to serve as a Good Samaritan.

1 comment:

Nick Palomo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.