Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Shack

The C3 group of which I am a part is reading The Shack by Wm. Paul Young for our upcoming meeting. I just finished reading it this evening. I found myself challenged, encouraged, in tears, and hungry for a deeper relationship with God. I am aware that some have criticized the book. Have you read it and how did you respond to it either positively or negatively. I have enjoyed the writings of C.S.Lewis both from a literary perspective as well as the pure enjoyment of his stories and thought provoking views of life, theology, and the Scriptures. Some have compared The Shack to Pilgrim's Progress. Would you agree or disagree?

3 comments:

John Ratz said...

I read The Shack a couple months ago. Once I got going I couldn't put it down. I was faced with my tendency to put God in a box and set my definition of His characteristics a little too rigidly, dare I say narrowly, at times.

Del Smith said...

Like John I read it a couple of months ago. I had a similar reaction as Pastor Steve. Some have quibbled on some of the finer points, but I think they're missing the deeper meaning.

Stephen Tourville said...

So true! I agree with you. Our view of God does influence how we respond to him. He is full of surprises! Also, He will not be made to fit into our stereotypes. But why should we be surprised? He is God! :)