Monday, September 22, 2008

The Economy

I am not an economist. If I ever run for the office of President of the USA, that admission may come back to bite me, Alla John McCain. However, there are a few things I have learned about finances as I have been navigating this journey of life and ministry. The principles are true for individuals, state and national governments, businesses, and churches. Here are some of my observations.

First, live within your means. The issue for all of us is not that there is not enough income available. There will never be enough income to pay for all the things that can be purchased, enjoyed, or utilized for life and ministry. There will always be something we can use. The needs will never be met. The bottom line is this; don't spend more than comes in. Stay within your budget.

Second, living off the credit card is not a life of faith. I am not opposed to credit cards or borrowing money for major purchases like a home or car. I am opposed to the mentality that we can live off of credit. Sadly, the American economy is built on credit. This has become abundantly clear in the last few days. Sooner or later, that mentality catches up with those who live that way. If you have credit card(s), never put a charge on a card unless you can pay the monthly bill without the interest changes that will build up in a hurry if you cannot pay it off at the end of the month. Credit card debt, with the interest rate that accompanies it, will quickly put you in a financial hole.

Third, save a little every month. I have been the recipient of financial advisers who had no clue of the financial realities I faced. Many of them gave such unrealistic advise that it discouraged me from even trying to save money. I eventually got over that and began to see that while I could not save as much as they recommended, I could save something. A little is better than nothing. Over time, a little begins to mount up. When you save, save for some purpose, don't just hoard money to be hording it.

Fourth, budgeting is difficult, but it is a great discipline for believers. I found that budgeting for my tithe, housing bills, clothes, food, etc. began to free me to better respond to what God was calling me to do for him. Being a good steward is not in conflict with a walk of faith. Both principles are biblical.

Fifth, giving is a joy, both in the tithe and offering. Since I was a child I have practiced the discipline of tithing. I am grateful to my parents for the training they provided for me in this area of life. The old saying is true, "I can't afford not to tithe." I am amazed when ministers claim they cannot tithe. How can we expect the people in our church to learn to tithe if we have not? Our people catch our heart, not just learn from what we say. Are there more important issues than tithing? Of course, mercy, justice, etc. The latter should be practiced along with the former.

Sixth, the current problems in our economy were caused by such issues as shorting stocks, the up-tick rule being eliminated, interest only & 100% mortgage financing that eventually caught up with the institutions and individuals that practiced such lending policies. (HIS Fund never has and never will engage in such practices. Churches are the recipients of loans, not individuals. Speculation is not a part of how the fund is operated.) The lesson for us as individuals relates to investment. If you are investing in funds, know what you are doing, remembering that Christ must be Lord of your finances and financial dealings just as He is to be Lord of all other aspects of life.

Finally, put your trust in the Lord. Don't be overly worried about the things that go on in the world system knowing that the kingdom of God is not based on the financial markets, government systems, or political parties. While I believe Christians should vote, carry on with their business endeavors, etc. because, that is to say, we are in the world, but we are not of the world. God's economy is very different from ours. Keep your eyes on the city whose builder and maker is God. Don't be consumed with worry over the future. As Jesus taught, you are worth more than many sparrows. He takes care of them and he will take care of you and me.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Great stuff, Pastor Steve. I plan to link this to my blog tomorrow.

w.g. smith said...

Pastor Steve...

It should be important to us that money should not be important to us. But it is. Money issues are at the heart of so many of our ministers heartahces and frustrations. As pastors our church is our 'occupation' / 'job'! Yes it is ministry and calling yet in reality our church is where our paycheck comes from. So many of our churches are facing critical economic times. We are being faithful. Deligence is vital. However, our personal economic well-being as ministers is so linked with the financal well-being of the coporate body which we serve. Ministers fret over the church finances which leads to stress over their own finances because their support comes from the church.

Thanks for your concern in assisting us as spiritual leaders and thanks for always encouraging us.

By the way, my wife has some financial advice for other wives that may go against what you just wrote, nevertheless here it is: Whoever said that money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop!

Blessings...
W.G.Smith

[My old financial advice prior to the ministry was this: 'When I was a kid I used to pray every night for God to give me a bicycle only to realize that He does not answer such selfish prayers! So I stole one and asked the Lord to forgive me!!' Don't necessarily recommend this one but...]

Stephen Tourville said...

Walt, perhaps our wives have recently been discussing finances. :) As long as we are in the world, we will of necessity be required to deal with such realities as finances, where they come from, and the most appropriate use of them. I feel most for pastors whose churches could be more generous but are not. There is a great deal of frustration and much of it related to finances or the lack thereof. Keep giving it to the Lord. He will reward our faithfulness.